Christmas has never been a great time to sell your house and naturally, the market slows down. However, the New Year is a different ball game completely and many homeowners, spurred on by their New Year’s resolutions, will be looking to place their house on the market and go in search of their dream new home.
If you’re one of these people, what’s the best way to get ready? Here are our top 5 tips for selling your home in the New Year.
1. De-Christmas your home and evaluate what quick and cheap improvements that you can do. Having a general tidy-up is obviously a necessity but have a think about what a prospective buyer might think. Do some of your rooms need a new lick of paint? I know it may sound like a pain, but a bit of new paint where it’s needed the most can make all the difference when it comes to how your property will be perceived.
2. Same applies to your garden. Winter takes its toll on your garden and you may still have leaves all over your lawn and patio which need disposing of. Tidy up the garden the best you can, invest in a few winter potted plants and inject a bit of colour. It will show that you care about appearance.
3. Get two or three valuations of your home after you’ve done the above and see what it’s worth. Once you know this, you will have some idea of the kind of budget you’re working with for your new property.
4. Choose your estate agent carefully. Do your homework about the estate agents in your local area and find out how they intend to market your property. Read some of their current property descriptions and the types of photos they are using. Do they look professional and well-presented? Find out how much they really know about the local area and how committed they are to selling your property.
5. Last but certainly not least, find a good conveyancing solicitor. You many think it’s too early to do this but it really isn’t. The earlier that you can engage the services of a conveyancer, the quicker everything can happen when you finally find a buyer and that dream property.